Sunday, November 4, 2007

Lucky 13

The cool thing about training for a long distance race for the first time is that each week I get to run further than I ever have in my life. This Saturday I ran 13.1 miles. I ran the additional .1 because that's the exact distance of a half marathon - which I'll run officially on December 9th. I thought the run went well. I ran the majority of miles around 9:50 per mile, which is nothing to brag about. There are three major areas that I feel that I'll need to improve upon if I'm going to be a good runner. These are my weight, my speed (which will undoubtedly be impacted by weightloss) and my mental toughness. While I'm glad to have pinpointed these deficiencies, I also struggle with being patient and giving myself time to develop in these key areas. I guess we'll see how it goes.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Hey I think for your first half marathon, it's all about distance, not speed. At least that's what I keep telling myself (because I'm super slow!). I start training for my first half marathon after the first of the year. You are so far ahead of the game because you've already run the distance!!! You can tell yourself this during the race. "I've already run this distance, I can do it again". Great Job! Keep up the hard work!