Friday, October 19, 2007

Background

I've decided to start a blog dedicated mostly to my new found "love" of running and the transformation of myself into a dedicated runner. I do so with the understanding that only a handful of people will ever read it. I'm hoping that one day I will be able to look back on my progression, which will be detailed in this blog, and learn something about myself.

I began running regularly in April 2007 after realizing that I had put on 20 pounds since Allie was born. This was a bit demoralizing because I had worked hard to lose 35 pounds prior to Allie's birth. My motivation to lose weight the first time was what I called "Wedding Season." I participated in three weddings that summer and wanted to look my best. Having a newborn daughter obviously changed the way I spent my free time.

Seeing all that hard work go down the drain really motivated me. I decided that since we were young parents, young professionals (a.k.a poor), and new homeowners that getting a gym membership with a personal trainer was on the opposite end of the continuum from where I needed to be. Running immediately availed itself due to its cost effectiveness - and those who know me know that cost effectiveness is my middle name.

I'll continue to add a few posts focused on backfilling information on the last 5 months of training and racing that I've been able to do. Hopefully that will help me see the overall picture at some point. That way the blog will provide details from start to finish.

No comments: