Thursday, December 3, 2009

Turkey Trot

I ran in my third straight Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day. Even though I'm terribly out of shape my ego wouldn't let me run anything less than the 8-mile race. This year they had an official 5k rather than the usual 3-mile run, but that event is so extremely packed that running isn't really an option. And because the events start at the same time, you pretty much have to walk/jog the first two miles of the 8-miler as well.

The Turkey Trot has become my favorite holiday tradition and I've already started working on Paige to run with me next year. I have a year, so hopefully I can make this happen. Due to my lack of fitness, I decided to run with no time goal in mind and just enjoy the sights and sounds of the race. I kept a steady 9:30/mile pace and felt great the entire time and had no soreness afterward.

Additionally, the Trot has helped me build my motivation to get back to a steady running routine. 2009 has been a tough year as far as motivation is concerned. I strained my Iliotibial Band early in the year and put in few miles. I updated my running log over the weekend and was saddened by the extremely low numbers. I felt as though I wasted a year of running that could have lead to great improvement.

No comments: