Wednesday, July 30, 2008

July 2008

Despite it being hotter than hell this month, I was able to log 140 miles. This is the second most miles I've logged in a single month - January 2008 being the highest at 160. Given that I fell apart physically in February and March, I'm anxious to see how the next few weeks will go. I'm experiencing minor aches and pains, but nothing serious. Mostly, I'm dealing with a sore right arch on my foot and achy knees. Fortunately, my hips are holding up to the increased mileage.

Last night I decided to re-dedicate myself to slowly losing about 10 more pounds over the next 4 months. That'll put me at about 174 pounds on race day. If I happened to get any lower than that I might just start out running with the Kenyans and Ethopians up front. I created an Excel spreadsheet this morning to help with counting calories. This method should ensure that I don't eat too many or, just as importantly, too few calories.

I ended up purchasing about a year's worth of shoes this month. Generally, runners are very particular about their shoes, so when you find one you like its a good idea to buy in bulk. I found great deals online and purchased four pairs of New Balance 768s.

I also registered for the White Rock Marathon taking place on December 14 in Dallas. Jeff Christ planned to run Houston in January, but the event sold out quickly. I didn't want that to happen to me so I went ahead and paid the $107 to get registered.

2 comments:

becky said...

i do not know if you will ever get this comment but i am so proud of you for running. i am (which i have not gotten back into since having the baby) a runner myself. i have never run a marathon and i really do not want to but i have run 2 half marathons and a 15k. i love running and the high you get from racing. good luck with your race and dont hurt yourself.-becky

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you Becky. I believe Paige told me that you ran during college. It's definitely tough getting into a running groove after having a little one. I appreciate the encouragement.

Jarod